Friday, April 18, 2008

Dark Choc-Covered Toffee celebration/ showdown!


Being a major toffee fan I decided to take stock of some of the better dark choc covered toffee available here and by mailorder (within my limited budget). I was inspired by New Roca Toffee Thins by Brown & Haley, the Almond Roca co. To these I added Carey's of Oregon Dark Choc Almond Toffee, Marich Confectionary Co. Triple Choc Toffee, Peterbrooke Chocolatier Dark Choc Toffee, and Terry's Toffee (of Chicago) in Classic Dark, Chai-cago Spice, and Hazelicious. Talk about serious toffee heaven!! It will be hard to pick a favorite because they are all a bit different and unique in flavor, texture, & wow factor....but here's my 2 cents on their individual merit:

ROCA THINS- excellent unique Roca flavor, visible almonds, generous amounts of dark choc, super easy crunch with not much snap.

CAREY'S- also excellent, perfect balance of toffee and choc, easy crunch and good texture, a few nuts inside but would be better if outside had crushed nuts too.

MARICH- little milk, dark, & white choc balls with toffee inside- tasty but a little overkill on the choc coating- altho the pkg does say Triple choc so that's ok...

PETERBROOKE- Beautiful to look at with major amounts of diced almonds sprinkled over the dark choc squares, and almonds inside, but the texture was really soft and grainy, maybe a little old, not realllly bad but lacking refinement, very grainy.

TERRY'S- Excellent overall, strong bold interesting flavors and generous dark choc coating, some with nuts outside but not many inside, hardest crunch of all. Most expensive but most refined too.

If anyone has any more great toffee brand suggestions, or has tried these, please leave a comment, thanx!

4 comments:

Cybele said...

I liked the look of the Marich triple chocolate toffees, they'd be fun to have in a jar. I'm going to try some more of the Carey's line. I can't find it in LA but I'm going to SF next week.

Chocoflyer said...

Cool I hope you find Cary's , they really are Excellent and made in OR so should be a avail in CA- try Whole Foods and gourmet type stores. Choc on!

Chocomom said...

It wasn't until Ashland that I discovered Cary's... and what a discovery. Love 'em! Hope to find 'em somewhere near me!

superbadfriend said...

Terry's Toffee is the most unique. I hope you've been back since and were able to try all 16 flavors. Also, the new packaging is gorgeous. I'm not biased at all. Nope, not me! ;)

xo